Wednesday, April 15, 2009

A Prayer ~

My dear LORD,
I can but tell You what You already know
I long for nothing but You
nothing but holiness
nothing but union with Your will.
You have given me these desires,
and You alone can give me the thing desired.
My soul longs for communion with You,
for mortification of indwelling corruption,
especially spiritual pride.
How precious it is
to have a tender sense and true apprehension
of the mystery of godliness
of true holiness!
What a blessedness to be like You
as much as it is possible for a creature to be like it's Creator!
LORD, give me more of Your likeness;
Enlarge my soul to contain fullness of holiness;
Engage me to live more for You.
Help me to be less pleased with my spiritual experiences,
and when I feel at ease after sweet communings,
teach me it is far too little I know and do.
Blessed Lord,
let me climb up near to you,
and love, and long, and plead, and wrestle with You,
and pant for deliverance from the body of sin,
for my heart is wandering and lifeless,
and my soul mourns to think
it should ever lose sight of its beloved.
Wrap my life in divine love,
and keep me ever desiring You,
always humble and resigned to Your will,
more fixed upon You,
that I may be more fit for doing and suffering.

No comments: